Vitamin C (rare find in a grain)
Protein (I recommend to still add one protein to this grain)
An annual grass (LOVEGRASS) crop harvested for grain in Ethiopia that has now become available to Westerners due to European cultivation. In the United States, we mostly grow it in Kansas + Idaho. Teff is the tiniest known grain in the world. It is also a naturally gluten-free grain. A favorite new addition to my breakfast repertoire!
: a soft food made by boiling meal of grains or legumes in milk or water until thick
- 1/2 cup teff
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup nuts or seeds (optional for protein)
- 1/8 cup black strap molasses or apple cider molasses
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Place teff in a saucepan on medium heat stirring frequently for 5 minutes to toast. You'll hear the grains start crackling as they pop. Add water, coconut oil, cinnamon, cranberries + molasses, then stir. Lower heat to simmer for about 15 minutes until grains are soft and porridge consistency. Add milk and optional toppings: pepitas, almonds, pecans
- Please try to intuitively cook this recipe into your own. You can change the fruit, protein and sweetener (date, honey or maple syrup).